I want a Tesla solar roof.
There, I said it. And I admit I’m under the spell of Elon (with a capital E). He’s enchanting and innovative, a visionary with extraordinary aesthetic taste. He is hell-bent on building THE sustainable energy company of the future. Elon rocks.
I spent 15 minutes Friday night fixated on Tesla’s solar roof (and Powerwall) announcement. Set at Universal Studios, it was like a scene out of Truman Show: Was it real? Time will tell. Here's the video.
Enchantment to the side, I have a few questions for Elon prior to pulling the trigger on a Tesla solar roof (in addition to recommending the solution for friends and neighbors). Elon, I will buy and recommend your roof if:
1. As you stated, the cost is the same or less than installing a new roof and traditional solar PV system.
2. The solar shingles’ electricity generation capacity is proven and backed by a 25-year, third-party warranty.
3. The quality of the roof is the same or superior to traditional roofs, both its insulating capacity and protection versus leaks.
4. It’s easy to install and replace the singles (versus Dow’s recently-killed Powerhouse solar shingle).
5. The roof can endure standard stomping and pounding, be it a person walking or a tree limb tumbling.
6. My local jurisdiction will permit its installation.
7. It can be installed by a reputable, third-party contractor; as you know, Elon, SolarCity is not known for their quality workmanship.
8. It qualifies for the 30% federal tax credit.
9. I can insure it.
Elon, if you nail the above you will be well along your way in building a sustainable and profitable, end-to-end clean energy juggernaut. Until then, please focus on ramping production of the Model 3 ... my $1,000 deposit is burning a mini hole in your pocket!